• 273 posts
  • LocationBelgium
  • World:UK2
  • Character:Analis
  • Studio:Bros And Hoes

Posted 25 March 2018 - 20:37 PM

As I said, studio voting is within the rules, but given how things are,

it shouldn't really surprise you if some folks feel like the contest is rigged

(not my word, but I heard it being thrown around).

Not going to milk this after this but...

"those folks" who think it's "rigged" don't know how the game works or how teamwork works.

And I'm not sure if I should care about the feelings of people with opinions, unhindered by facts.

The logic is easy: have everyone active and have everyone vote a team member if his/her face comes around.

The execution is hard: every producer or team leader can agree on that with me. Keeping everyone active is hard.

So I'm going to pretend not feeling slighted when effective teamwork is made to sound like an unfair advantage.

But whether or not people like it, we do still earn each of those votes.

If not always through quality, at least through solidarity and caring.

The only way you can make the BBAs truly "fair" though in the way you prefer, based purely on quality, is scratching the "from your studio" and the weekend selections altogether, setting back the voting system to how it was over a year ago. Have them all show up anonimously and just as random as they show up through the week. Put your faith in the good taste of your BBA fellow players. Or even have all the covers be completely faceless so there can't be friendly favors. But even then most people might still not even bother to check the cover and just click something.

• Yibbies and BigBadWolf like this

Now that my char has been deleted...

I finally am just as relevant to UK2 as Maalena always has been.

#22 Amberson

Amberson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 13:40 PM

I’m sorry if something what I wrote made you feel slighted, Analis. You obviously have your own view of things that you feel obliged to defend. I understand it. Yet, still don't like the amount of influence studio voting has on the results. The question is whether you would be willing to find ways how to make the contest more competitive and fun for everyone or you just want to keep your dominance?

I’m completely fine with the suggestions you made in the second paragraph, apart from making the covers faceless. The goal is not to make the BBAs perfectly fair and without any "friendly favors". That's impossible. I'm just trying to find ways how to make them better and more fair as the title of thread suggests... In fact, I did already propose to get rid of the "from your studio" text in the past. But I bumped into vocal opposition to the proposal from CaptC and Wolf, so I let it go and thought about other solutions.

The feedback to my latest proposal was you defending studio voting. And I don't want to argue with you about that, particularly since the proposal doesn't disallow studio voting per se. What it might actually do is reduce its influence on the final results which is in my opinion excessive at the moment.

BTW, I don’t understand your stance on the matter, BigBadWolf. You’re one of the folks that publicly called the BBAs "rigged" on this very forum "with the occasional nice cover slipping through by accident". Yet you seem to be always in the opposition to my proposals and in favor of studio voting's role in the contest that leads to the very same results that you call "rigged" or "mostly rigged".

#23 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA
  • World:UK1
  • Character:CaptChrissy
  • Studio:Abusement Park

Posted 26 March 2018 - 14:17 PM

BBAs are a voting system. Popularity is more important than anything else in a voting system.

If the BBA was a ratings system, where we were being asked to judge the cover on a 1 to 5 scale, say... then I would agree that eliminating biases that favor studio voting should be removed.

But it's not a ratings system, and I don't see a way for a ratings system to generate diamond spending the way the current system does.

Retired from the game. Not from life.
In love with my Baby.

#24 Amberson

Amberson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 15:20 PM

If the BBAs were meant to be mainly a popularity contests of the players (and not of the actual covers), the voting options wouldn't be anonymous and there would be a "from your friend" recommendation. You could also find other ways of promoting "friend voting" that wold include diamonds. For example being able to pay for the voting options to include at least one of your friends, being able to buy the oppotunity to just vote for however you want besides yourself etc.

It was obviously meant to be a quality contest too, however a one that's ill-concieved and muddled by efforts to also promote diamond spending and studio bonds.

But how we view the awards and their purpose is ultimately unimportant in terms of what this thread is about, so let's just stick to the point, i.e. the actual suggestions that are being offered here. Do people agree with the proposals? Will it get to the developers? Is there a will to change and improve things?

Edited by Amberson, 26 March 2018 - 15:24 PM.

#25 Eileendover

Eileendover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationUSA,MI
  • Character:Eileendover
  • Studio:Bukkakke Cinema

Posted 26 March 2018 - 15:41 PM

I think they are all good suggestions and also showing who won for at least 24 hours after as well. I very strongly agree that the pairing on similar elements needs to go as well as the short period where you can bomb beyond the point of no return. Interesting, on NU, I have started out way lower and finished very high, so I guess population can really effect that.

I have another idea but I won't complictae this thread with it.

• Amberson and BigBadWolf like this

Just a casual now

#26 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 26 March 2018 - 16:10 PM

These suggestions have been passed along, of course. This note was flagged for developer attention last month. Beyond that, I have no knowledge.

• Amberson likes this
In love with my Baby.

#27 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 26 March 2018 - 16:26 PM

The element pairing does seem to happen. This might be a side effect of the fact that covers are segregated by sex. You will never see a female avatar's cover paired up against a male avatar's cover.

In love with my Baby.

#28 dparadise

dparadise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationBreda
  • Character:Dparadise
  • Studio:Angels & Sinners

Posted 28 March 2018 - 17:53 PM

Actually few days ago, when we were talking about film covers in our studio chat, someone came up with a nice idea. Why is it obligated to chose either no co-star or an NPC? Why can't we chose one of our studio members to pose with us? I know this might be very difficult to implement for the devs, but the idea is cool. I see so many very creative players out there that dress up for their films, so why not double use it to pose with a studio member?

Happy Holidays. Wishing you all a happy, healthy and amazing 2021!

#29 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 28 March 2018 - 17:58 PM

Actually few days ago, when we were talking about film covers in our studio chat, someone came up with a nice idea. Why is it obligated to chose either no co-star or an NPC? Why can't we chose one of our studio members to pose with us? I know this might be very difficult to implement for the devs, but the idea is cool. I see so many very creative players out there that dress up for their films, so why not double use it to pose with a studio member?

This request is so common, I include a section in the suggestions report called 'on going requests'.  

I will include 'friends as co-stars' again this month.  :)

• dparadise likes this
In love with my Baby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users