• PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationUSA,MI
  • World:UK2
  • Character:Eileendover
  • Studio:Bukkakke Cinema

Posted 10 February 2018 - 20:55 PM

Conventions...

If there's anything in the game that makes me want to log out and go find something, anything, else to do instead, It's conventions. It doesn't matter if it's temple or not. I'd rather be sleeping.

Just dropping off this piece of honest feedback

• DildoKing and CaptC like this

Just a casual now

#2 DragonFlamez

DragonFlamez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina
  • World:UK1
  • Character:DFlamez/DragonflamezDark
  • Studio:No Studio

Posted 10 February 2018 - 22:57 PM

Yeah, especially the ones where the # of fans to make it a successful convention is set extremely high. It is part of the game, but, not the funnest one. I just do whatever I can whenever I can on one, and if I were to get an item that I don't have, then alright. Other than that, just do whatever on it.

• Eileendover likes this

#3 Eileendover

Eileendover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationUSA,MI

Posted 10 February 2018 - 23:31 PM

Yeah, I don't know what to suggest that hasn't been already. We've been up and down, in and around the negatives of conventions on the forums and it feels like no one that can do anything is listening. I don't think it will change unless people stop feeding the beast and they won't as long as it's a temple objective some of the time or part of other events. But, I think it's important to at least try to let someone know, 'hey, you have a part of your game that is a big UGG to people.'

Just a casual now

#4 IluvURANUS

IluvURANUS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Character:IluvURANUS
  • Studio:SPOILEDROTTEN

Posted 11 February 2018 - 15:43 PM

For one, convention can be ignored: good thing for those who don't like it.

I think the idea of Conventions has a lot of potential. Trouble is, the potential has not been explored. For example, in similar manner to normal fight/skill/time missions, there could be booth/show/walk/shop tasks each with different needs and rewards. However, if it follows format of missions, it is redundant... Spend enough notes and get an access to extra merchandise, participate in enough workshops and get some skill points: not hard to come up with material like this.

The concept of convention is BIG but pretty pathetic in current form, agreed.

Cheers!

• CaptC and Eileendover like this

#5 Eileendover

Eileendover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationUSA,MI

Posted 12 February 2018 - 13:11 PM

For one, convention can be ignored: good thing for those who don't like it.

If you're in a competitive studio and it's temple, you can't ignore it and expect to remain there. I like your train of thought with making the thing resemble what it's supposed to be somehow. Conventions and parties both need an overhaul to go in that direction IMO. I've expressed that before.

But fading fast here. I will very soon need at least some time away because burnout.  So I guess this post was my message in a  bottle should I not make it back.

The big thing they have still failed to address is the handing out of energy after eating up my play time with this repetitious boring activity. And no one need preach polyamory to me because I refuse to spend anything on that. It should have been an active feature all along.

Just a casual now

#6 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA
  • Character:CaptChrissy
  • Studio:Abusement Park

Posted 12 February 2018 - 13:43 PM

Some very competitive studios I know don't give a flying fig about how you do in a convention temple. If anyone is giving you grief about temple scores this week, talk to your boss. I hear he is gruff, but actually kind of friendly.

• Analis and Eileendover like this
Retired from the game. Not from life.
In love with my Baby.

#7 Marja

Marja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:43 AM

I think conventions should be announced some time in advance so you can anticipate on it. Often when I log in a convention has just started and it becomes next to impossible NOT to fail.

Sometimes conventions are a real teambuilder when you do them for the temple competition. With a few of our team we will stay up late or come out of bed in the middle of the night to participate in the convention and in the waiting time we have some nice chats.

Marja from Daring Encounters.

#8 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 06 March 2018 - 15:16 PM

Marja, your suggestion comes up from time to time. I always relate the same story.

Once upon a time, on a server I played on, a player with more money than sense decided to dominate every convention. If that player was on, that player spent enough to win the convention, to get the good gear, and to keep it away from others (despite having completed the set many times over.)

The only way other players could collect the top rewards from a convention was to hope he was sleeping. If every convention was announced in advance, he would have been there for every convention.

That was an extreme case, but indicative. We all know players who will happily buy any convention they attend. If the convention schedule is known, one or more of them will always be there. I think that means the chance of successful conventions goes up, but correspondingly, the average player will have greatly reduced chances of ever winning one.

I am just saying that this is not an obvious change the developers are being stupid about. There are, in fact, reasons for hidden convention schedules.

(Not a big deal to me personally. I ignore almost all conventions, because they are simply inefficient at what they do. I only run conventions if I am out of energy, or if I or a studiomate needs a convention for a dickstarter.)

In love with my Baby.

#9 Marja

Marja

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 15:51 PM

It's a choice to be made. I'm glad I don't have to make it.

But maybe there could be held a referendum about the issue.

At the moment I often ignore conventions (except when for the temple competition) and I have the feeling a lot of players do.

It could be thought over to make conventions more attractive in one way or the other.

#10 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 06 March 2018 - 16:00 PM

I liked the note above, from ILuvUranus. Conventions themselves are boring, and remove you from the rest of the game (unless you want to pay for Polyamory).  The only thing interesting is trying to gauge when the convention will go over the top, to try to win the top show award.

If conventions themselves had mini-goals, something for the players to THINK about, they would be more successful. Right now they are... <click> wait a few minutes <click> wait a few minutes <click>.  Soul deadening. And for what I consider to be poor rewards.

• Savannah likes this
In love with my Baby.

#11 BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationThe Isle of drublic
  • Character:BigBadWolf
  • Studio:The Pirate Alliance

Posted 06 March 2018 - 23:15 PM

I'm not sure how many of you have delved into another Playata Game - Operation X

The way they manage the "event" is much more interesting than conventions.

Summary - Each area you can unlock (eg Beach, Camp69, etc) has a target to achieve for that area.

Players are ranked in each area based on missions done ( eg 1st in Tellville, 3rd in Beverly Humps)

and are also ranked for overall event 

The event finishes once ALL areas reach their targets 

I wouldn't mind seeing that format trialled over here in replacement for conventions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users