• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA
  • World:UK1
  • Character:CaptChrissy
  • Studio:Abusement Park

Posted 13 July 2017 - 20:44 PM

One of my studio mates, Pinkyslapalot, heard about the balance concerns of the new movie trophies, and proposed an Old Maid trophy to me.

Basically, it is a trophy that has no positive attributes. You get no bonuses from owning it.  You DO get a negative to your combat skills though.

So if you get the Old Maid, you have a big incentive to try to give it away.

The special abililtes of the Old Maid are:

1) It can't be sold off.  You have to lose a fight to get rid of it.

2) If you lose a fight while holding it, the studio that beat you automatically gets the Old Maid.

3) If the winner of the fight has any trophy, you randomly get one of their trophies in exchange. (Optionally, the Old Maid only swaps trophies if you lose to a higher leveled studio on the glory ladder.)

This trophy is NOT a prize to hold. It is strictly a weapon, used to pry useful trophies out of higher level studios.

This trophy will tend to rise through the ranks until it gets stuck in the #1 studio.  Who will have to either suck it up and keep it... or find a way to lose the trophy to a lower ranked opponent.

I call it evil! But a brilliant equalizing tool. Any studio threatening to run away with a server is going to hold the Old Maid a lot... letting other studios have a shot at catching up.

If you REALLY want to make it evil, deny studios the ability to choose to keep it. The penalty for the trophy should get bigger, the longer you hold it. Maybe the penalty gets worse by 1% per day?

I'd suggest one per server.

• Eileendover likes this
Retired from the game. Not from life.
In love with my Baby.

#2 TaraBing

TaraBing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S
  • World:UK2
  • Character:TaraBing
  • Studio:EINTRACHT

Posted 13 July 2017 - 21:02 PM

Is this what we have succumb to as a society, Capt?  Penalizing the rich.  Tsk, tsk.   :X

It's a diabolical idea, but that doesn't mean I like it.  And I am not even part of a "rich" studio...  (smug)

-TB (flower)

#3 Yibbies

Yibbies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Character:Yibbies
  • Studio:Bros & Hoes

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:58 AM

Sounds a lot like the "STD Trophy" some studio colleagues and I were discussing about two months ago, I'm not all that sure that penalizing players/studios is going to have a positive effect though..

• Analis likes this

#4 Yibbies

Yibbies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:03 AM

On another note, perhaps an "Old Maid" icon for studio members would help us producers... You have Gold for the leader, Silver for producers, Bronze for the actives, and a Black for the selected individual (only given out by the leader) who seems to be slacking off with films or temple activity... This way, if you see the black dot by your character's name, you know you have to pick up the pace a little with being competitive

• Analis likes this

#5 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:20 PM

Many games have the idea of diminishing rewards or outright detriments for the current frontrunners - for the very reason that they make the overall game more dynamic.  For example, in Mario Kart, the front runner's prizes and boosts are nerfed compared to what the players behind are getting.  

Top level studios probably won't like it.  *Shrug*  Not designed for them.  (I speak as the boss of a studio who would most likely hold an old maid on a regular basis.)

• Yibbies likes this
In love with my Baby.

#6 Yibbies

Yibbies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 July 2017 - 22:07 PM

Same here, I am a producer in a top-ranked studio, we currently have held 5 trophies for about 2 months straight.. If your plan/idea was implemented into the game, we would probably never receive one of the 'bad' trophies, given that the max is 5, and our staff is wise enough not to select a duel with a "plagued" studio

Edited by Yibbies, 15 July 2017 - 22:18 PM.

#7 Amberson

Amberson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 23:11 PM

I think there are various ways how to not get stuck with the toxic trophy. You either don't challenge the studio that has it in its possession or if you yourself happen to be that unlucky studio, you can challenge someone else and not have your members participate (another option is to participate but without all of your wardrobe) in the fight in order to loose and get rid of the trophy...

Also, I understand your intention, but in general, I think it's better if any existing trophy also has some kind of a positive side that could be viewed as attractive for a particular studio. If you balance that with harsh penalties, it allows for more strategizing. The penalties themselves don't necessarily have to be aimed only at basic skill points in studio fights. It could also be -1 movie per day, a ban from the parties or BBAs etc. Of course, if you introduce these harsher penalties, you also have to make the bonuses more enticing. If it was done in an inspired way, the studios would have to think more about the trophies they chose to pursue and keep based on their own goals in the game and individual strategy.

Just a suggestion, that I came up with as I was writing that first paragraph... ;)

#8 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 15 July 2017 - 23:14 PM

Same here, I am a producer in a top-ranked studio, we currently have held 5 trophies for about 2 months straight.. If your plan/idea was implemented into the game, we would probably never receive one of the 'bad' trophies, given that the max is 5, and our staff is wise enough not to select a duel with a "plagued" studio

Trophies are weapons, Yibbies. If I got the Old Maid, I would be dumping on you, and trading trophies.  Read it's description again.

In love with my Baby.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trophy, equalizer, trophy dump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users