• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BIGEAST

BIGEAST

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 15:14 PM

New feature for studios... any thoughts?

I think it would be a great feature, particularly for smaller studios to be able to approach to buy/merge with other small studios. It could cost so many studio diamonds, the selling studio members could receive the diamonds as personal diamonds (or maybe just the boss as it would be in real life but only the boss can decide to sell). In return the buying studio gets all the attributes of the selling studio (skills boosts, extra member space etc. and maybe an opportunity to rename the studio for free). Perhaps the studio has to start again from scratch with no diamonds or notes deter studios from just constantly buying others. You retain the 30 member limit so you cannot merge or buy studios with more members than you can achieve. I think it would help to produce fairer contests with the larger studios who win the temple competitions every week and are completely dominating the game and also might help smaller studios keep hold of their members. 

#2 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA
  • World:UK1
  • Character:CaptChrissy
  • Studio:Abusement Park

Posted 05 July 2017 - 15:59 PM

This is an interesting suggestion, but I am not sure I completely understand it. Does the "bought" studio cease to exist?  And why are diamonds going to any individuals at all?

The issue with most mergers is not whether or not it makes sense.  It is deciding which boss is not going to be a boss anymore. A secondary part of that is who is going to "lose" any diamonds they have invested in their studio.

Nothing can help with that first part. A boss is willing to stop being boss or they aren't.

But if your proposal is designed to overcome the investment issue and so facilitate studio mergers, then I can see the value. I would suggest we change the terms: one studio is merging into another. And if I may try to rephrase what I think you are trying to do:

- The surviving studio pays a diamond fee to initiate the merger.

- If the boss of the merging studio agrees, the merging studio ceases to exist.

- The players in the merging studio become members of the surviving studio.

- The diamond treasury of the merging studio is added to the diamond total of the surviving studio.

- A (prorated?) diamond refund of benefits purchased by the merging studio is also added to the surviving studio's treasury.

Does that describe your idea well enough, BigEast?

• JENNIFER, BIGEAST and nigel1 like this
Retired from the game. Not from life.
In love with my Baby.

#3 BIGEAST

BIGEAST

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 16:10 PM

This is an interesting suggestion, but I am not sure I completely understand it. Does the "bought" studio cease to exist?  And why are diamonds going to any individuals at all?

The issue with most mergers is not whether or not it makes sense.  It is deciding which boss is not going to be a boss anymore. A secondary part of that is who is going to "lose" any diamonds they have invested in their studio.

Nothing can help with that first part. A boss is willing to stop being boss or they aren't.

But if your proposal is designed to overcome the investment issue and so facilitate studio mergers, then I can see the value. I would suggest we change the terms: one studio is merging into another. And if I may try to rephrase what I think you are trying to do:

- The surviving studio pays a diamond fee to initiate the merger.

- If the boss of the merging studio agrees, the merging studio ceases to exist.

- The players in the merging studio become members of the surviving studio.

- The diamond treasury of the merging studio is added to the diamond total of the surviving studio.

- A (prorated?) diamond refund of benefits purchased by the merging studio is also added to the surviving studio's treasury.

Does that describe your idea well enough, BigEast?

Thanks for the response. Yes that is the basic idea. The other problem that it facilitates is that allows more members to be added to one studio. With mergers you are relying on one studio having space for all the other members. If you give the member's diamonds you are effectively buying their investment so they get diamonds as a reward. For ordinary/producer members it can only be a good thing as it would boost their skills etc. It would only work properly if the surviving studio ceased to exist. The boss could demand x amount of diamonds for the sale of his/her studio. Which could either go to his personal diamond account or be split across his/her members (I'm not sure which is fairer). The boss would have to be willing to become a member or producer of another studio but in return receive diamonds for the sale of the studio. Just a thought. Might make studios management more interesting. Another aspect to stop it getting out of hand is for each boss to only get the option to buy something like once every 4 months.

Edited by BIGEAST, 05 July 2017 - 16:12 PM.

#4 JENNIFER

JENNIFER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • World:UK2

Posted 05 July 2017 - 16:15 PM

The 'Absorbed' studio is a situation on many Games.

How about the 'absorbed' studio's diamonds go to facilitate things like studio name changes and not compiling advantages. the advantage of merging is allready ther with the gainned members.

I agree with CC, bosses step down or they dont.

IMO 2 people tug and one person Leads. co-bossing always leads to trouble.

a Boss needs the room to enforce or guide the studio to their vision of what it should be.

• CaptC likes this

#5 BIGEAST

BIGEAST

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 16:19 PM

The 'Absorbed' studio is a situation on many Games.

How about the 'absorbed' studio's diamonds go to facilitate things like studio name changes and not compiling advantages. the advantage of merging is allready ther with the gainned members.

I agree with CC, bosses step down or they dont.

IMO 2 people tug and one person Leads. co-bossing always leads to trouble.

a Boss needs the room to enforce or guide the studio to their vision of what it should be.

I agree with you both. The buying option actually requires a boss to accept the forfeit but at least once it is processed there is only one boss. Quite right I suppose the absorbed studio will likely still have diamonds which could be utilised by the surviving studio. I supposed if the absorbed studio has for example 200 studio diamonds, then they add 200 diamonds to their sale price. 

#6 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 05 July 2017 - 16:25 PM

So, I am trying to come up with a suggestion to make to the developers, BigEast.  

I think if a boss has invested diamonds into a studio, those diamonds should stay in the studio. I am leery of suggesting that spent diamonds be refunded under just about any circumstances, as that is money out of the developer's pockets.  But keeping the spent diamonds in a studio treasury, just a different one, strikes me as a reasonable 'store credit' equivalence.

• BIGEAST likes this
In love with my Baby.

#7 BIGEAST

BIGEAST

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 16:34 PM

Hi CC, 

I see what you're saying but those diamonds will have been paid for/acquired by the buying studio. It comes from the buying studio's diamond depository. So not necessarily out of the developers pockets. I believe this option could surely exist without anybody losing out. So if you have an idea about how to word it to them then great! Do you see my angle or am I being stupid here and missing something? I new to most of this so a little slow ;)

#8 BIGEAST

BIGEAST

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 16:35 PM

In fact surely it might even encourage bosses to buy diamonds to expand their studio and they might encourage members to donate more diamonds to the studio bank too

Edited by BIGEAST, 05 July 2017 - 16:44 PM.

#9 TaraBing

TaraBing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S
  • Character:TaraBing
  • Studio:EINTRACHT

Posted 05 July 2017 - 16:57 PM

All this talk of absorption has my head rolling, as if I was just beheaded in a Highlander Quickening.  There can only be ONE survivor at the top. 

And although I would like to keep my pretty head on its shoulders... I also would like to understand this suggestion better. CaptC, can I ask for your translation / understanding of this later?...   (smug)

-TB (flower)

• BIGEAST likes this

#10 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 05 July 2017 - 16:57 PM

I think absorbing studios (i like that terminology, thank you Jennifer!) is a new feature that should be paid for. As a result, I think the surviving studio should have a treasury equal to "absorbed studio value" + "original surviving studio treasury" - "fee for absorbing studio".

My studio on NU1 has absorbed several other studios. We did it informally, just inviting the other players, and the other studios were just abandoned.  Right now, the diamonds in the abandoned studio are completely lost. I think it a great improvement that most of those diamonds would be retained under this type of a proposal.

I get that 'paying' the boss might make mergers even more likely. But I think it sufficient in game terms, that the ex-boss is now part of a bigger, more powerful studio with a solvent treasury.

• BIGEAST likes this
In love with my Baby.

#11 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 05 July 2017 - 16:58 PM

(After we figure out what it is, sure, Tara.  LOL)

• BIGEAST likes this
In love with my Baby.

#12 BIGEAST

BIGEAST

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 17:07 PM

Captc you seem to have understood my idea and you're are much better at putting it on paper than I am! Thank god you're here I'd be chuffed if you made the suggestion to developers and keep me posted

Edited by BIGEAST, 05 July 2017 - 17:09 PM.

#13 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 05 July 2017 - 17:29 PM

I am an American moonlighting here in the UK... so I hope being chuffed is a good thing.   (lol)

• Eileendover likes this
In love with my Baby.

#14 BIGEAST

BIGEAST

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 17:35 PM

Hahaha! Yes it is.. sorry. I guess I didn't realise that was not universal dialect.

Another idea for bosses who might want to sell for some diamonds but can't find a buyer... monthly auctions where they put their studio up for bidding (could set a reserve) this might definitely encourage other studios to buy/donate diamond in a bidding frenzy... maybe I'm getting ahead of myself now lol

Edited by BIGEAST, 05 July 2017 - 17:35 PM.

#15 Eileendover

Eileendover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationUSA,MI
  • Character:Eileendover
  • Studio:Bukkakke Cinema

Posted 06 July 2017 - 19:47 PM

i think it's a good idea. (Not just because BE is my studio mate) I have a star on US2 who has her own studio, all by herself. people sometimes ask why. I tell them I enjoy it, having my own place to decorate as I like and make changes as I see fit. but who knows, maybe one day I will let others in or walk away and join a studio with others. The thing is, after a while you've made such an investment of notes and time/energy spent on temple objectives and possibly bought diamonds that it would just be a shame to have it be for nothing. I know I'm not the only one that does this. I was fighting other 1 player studios to begin with until I got too strong as a studio to challenge any that I would have a chance against. It would be good if small or solo studios like that had a way to throw in their resources with another and be compensated, at least in part, for everything they put into it.

Just a casual now

#16 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 06 July 2017 - 20:24 PM

I will include refunding notes. I will say that notes are very easy to come by and don't have a real world cost, though. I think diamond recovery is much the more important of the two.

In love with my Baby.

#17 BIGEAST

BIGEAST

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 21:13 PM

Thanks Captc. Appreciate the work you're doing :)
  • JENNIFER and nigel1 like this

#18 JENNIFER

JENNIFER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:10 PM

Hi BIGEAST, I Find you to be pleasant and frinedly! :) Thanks for invite BTW :)

Has anyone looked into EBAY for selling their studio?

I know Plarium cities/Castles have been sold there before.......

Jennifer

#19 BIGEAST

BIGEAST

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 14:43 PM

Hi Jennifer. Glad to hear it :) hope you are getting on well with your studio. You are very helpful on here and equally as friendly. 

Our studio has 23 watches on ebay haha ;) I'd certainly recommend it

Jack

• JENNIFER likes this

#20 Eileendover

Eileendover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationUSA,MI
  • Character:Eileendover
  • Studio:Bukkakke Cinema

Posted 06 November 2017 - 17:49 PM

Nudging this topic because I still think it's a good idea. Not sure what happened to BIgE. He kind of poofed one day. :( I frequently get offers to merge studios, even sometimes in places where I'm not he boss or acting boss. That's a head-scratcher to me, that part, but I always wonder who would really want to just dump everything they put work, notes and diamonds into to go off and join another studio, getting zero recompense.

To me, at the very least, a merger should be an official option and should cause things to happen that everyone understands in advance. Both existing studios cease to exist and a new one is created with everyone from both already in it. A vote is initiated for studio name and boss. all studio diamonds and notes from both go into new studio. I agree no one should get personal refund. If it wasn't a donation (gift) in the 1st place then it's probably there from temple.

I don't think it would be a bad idea if the game handed a parting gift to outgoing boss(es) like an epic and title or something along those lines

• TaraBing likes this

Just a casual now

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Studio, merge, buying, diamonds, boss, fairer, temple, small studios

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users