Photo

Making movies in a week - what is your strategy?

movies making movies strategy

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Making Movies - My Strategy (18 member(s) have cast votes)

How many movies do you typically make in a week?

1. I almost always try to make 3 movies per day (21 or more per week) (16 votes [88.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 88.89%

2. I typically make at least 2 movies per day (about 14 movies a week) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. I try to make at least one movie cover a day (about 7 per week) (2 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. I cannot be bothered making movies these days (zero movies weekly) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Which time-commitment run-length do you typically select?

1. I almost always select the longest-running titles to give me the most fans. (5 votes [27.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

2. I generally choose movies with the shortest time-commitment. (3 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. It depends; I sometimes pick long, short, or medium-length movies. (9 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. Time-commitment / run-lengths are not generally a concern of mine. (1 votes [5.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

Which rewards do you usually go for? (pick all that apply)

1. I choose movies with *items* for rewards. (6 votes [24.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

2. I choose movies with *diamonds* for rewards. (5 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. I choose movies with *skill points* for rewards. (13 votes [52.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.00%

4. It doesn't really matter what the reward is to me. (1 votes [4.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TaraBing

TaraBing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S
  • World:UK2
  • Character:TaraBing
  • Studio:EINTRACHT

Posted 26 May 2017 - 18:23 PM

Just curious, how does everyone go about making their movie covers in a week?

1. Do you try to get 3 movies made every day (21 or more a week) - or something less?

2. Do you tend to do the shortest or longest time-commitments - or something else?

3. Do you tend to choose the ones with specific rewards?

If you go for rewards, which rewards do you choose - (usually)

• Items
  • Diamonds
  • Skill Points

Reply in kind below and take the 3-question poll for fun!  (grin)

-TB (flower)

• JENNIFER likes this

#2 Amberson

Amberson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 22:25 PM

1. Yes, I try to make 3 movies every day. That way I get the most rewards/experience/notes and also increase my chances to be successful in the Big Bang Awards.

2. I currently pursue two main objectives in the game - leveling up quickly and gaining enough fans to be able to complete the Whiplash party without any usage of diamonds (at the moment I have 3,9 mil. fans, so I'm still missing 900k to reach the needed limit). This means that I tend to choose the longest shoots that generate the most fans and experience. However, I take the rewards into account as well. If there's something attractive on the table that I really want or need, I will take that offer regardless of the length of the shoot.

3. Rewards are definitely important for me. I like items probably the most, but that automatically doesn't mean that I always go for them. That holds true only if I want to acquire them for some specific reason (I've run out of missiles, I don't have that particular sewing pattern yet, it's some favorite piece of clothing of mine that I want to have with the most up to date stats etc.). Other times, when I need diamonds or there's a good offer with skill points, I choose that offer instead. In the end, I'm always weighing out various things and trying to pick out the best option based on my present needs and long-term goals. My favorite movie offers are those that last long (= more experience and notes) and give multiple rewards (some combination of diamonds, skill points and/or a epic item). :) What can I say, I want it all... :)

BTW, how is it possible to make more than 21 movies a week? Is there some trophy for it?

Edited by Amberson, 26 May 2017 - 22:44 PM.

• TaraBing likes this

#3 TaraBing

TaraBing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S

Posted 26 May 2017 - 23:18 PM

Thanks for the contribution Amberson,..

BTW, how is it possible to make more than 21 movies a week? Is there some trophy for it?

A trophy to make more movies would be cool, but that's not how it is presently done...

If you started a movie on one side of the week (week ending), but finished it on the other side of the week (week beginning), you will have one movie  (+1) completed before you even get started on your potential compliment of 21 movies for the next 7 days.

-TB (flower)

• Eileendover likes this

#4 Amberson

Amberson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 23:49 PM

That makes sense. I was actually able to make 4 movies a day this way two weeks ago when I couldn't play for some time.

The obvious downside to this is that you will miss that one movie in the previous week. Nevertheless, I can imagine scenarios where this strategy can be useful. For example when you weren't able to bee active enough during that week. Or when you have some specific idea for a really exceptional cover that you have very high hopes for and thus want to give it a little extra push in the voting.

But the fact is, that you can't make 4 or 22 movies consecutively in the respective timeframes. You're just taking that one movie-making opportunity from one timeframe and moving it to the next one.

#5 TaraBing

TaraBing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:00 AM

But the fact is, that you can't make 4 or 22 movies consecutively in the respective timeframes. You're just taking that one movie-making opportunity from one timeframe and moving it to the next one.

EXACTLY!  It is like the concept of Daylight Savings Time... it's just time-shifting. What are we really saving?

Reminds me of that old adage said against the lunacy of daylight savings time:

Only Daylight Savings Timers think they can remove bottom of tapestry, add to top of tapestry, and have more tapestry.  (smug)

-TB (flower)

• Eileendover likes this

#6 jenna15

jenna15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Character:Goddess
  • Studio:HOT MILF PRODUCTION

Posted 27 May 2017 - 20:33 PM

1. Do you tend to choose the ones with specific rewards?

If you go for rewards, which rewards do you choose - (usually)

• Items
  • Diamonds
  • Skill Points

Hi.

Can i ask how do you know the movie reward?

Thank You.

• TaraBing likes this

#7 TaraBing

TaraBing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S

Posted 28 May 2017 - 18:06 PM

Hi.

Can i ask how do you know the movie reward?

Thank You.

Hi Jenna,

On a PC, if you hover your mouse over the "plus rewards" section of each movie offering (see yellow circles below), a pop up will show what notes, experience and any extra rewards you might get from completing each star stage.  I'm not sure how it works on a mobile device.

atRKvkM.png

-TB (flower)

• jenna15 likes this

#8 Mynx

Mynx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Character:Mynx
  • Studio:Eintracht

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:53 AM

I usually pick the ones that give diamonds or clothes items I don't have first.. If nothing gives either of those, I pick the shortest timed movies because I get distracted easily lol a 3 hour one might take me forever depending on what's going on around me. I always try to make the three movies daily, but sometimes I miss a few because I have a lot going on. 

• TaraBing likes this

#9 TaraBing

TaraBing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S

Posted 22 June 2017 - 23:37 PM

Anyone else want to add to the conversation or take the poll presented in May 2017 on 'your Movie-Making Strategy'?

Eight have taken the poll so far...   (smug)

-TB  (flower)

#10 Eileendover

Eileendover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationUSA,MI
  • Character:Eileendover
  • Studio:Bukkakke Cinema

Posted 23 June 2017 - 00:18 AM

Took the poll. Unless real life prevents, I always do 21. Length is usually determined by reward. items I haven't collected yet 1st, then skill points. Diamonds aren't a big factor unless it's like 9 which is enough to pick up a missile from shop. (dang things keep flying out of my hands). If it's late and I'm tired, I will do short just to get them done.

• TaraBing likes this

Just a casual now

#11 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA
  • World:UK1
  • Character:CaptChrissy
  • Studio:Abusement Park

Posted 27 June 2017 - 22:20 PM

Movie making advice: Always go for the long one.

Life advice: See above

The reason isn't the max number of fans. Fans are all but useless, since they only do something in the crappiest part of the game. Conventions are not worth spending any thought on. Yuck ptooie.

(I really should stop holding myself back.)

The reason is that you get to do more movie missions. That's free energy, right there, that turns into notes and experience.

And you should always go for skill points, particularly as you get into higher levels.  A four skill movie is worth well over 1.3 million notes to me.  A 50K note item does not begin to match that.  

As for diamond rewards: I buy diamonds, so movies give too small a reward to appeal to me.  YMMV if you are not buying diamonds.

• TaraBing likes this
Retired from the game. Not from life.
In love with my Baby.

#12 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:35 AM

You are increasing your odds in a particular Big Bang Award.

The number of movies you make in a week matters to how often your movie is offered as a choice. Having 22 gives you a little edge that week. Set yourself up to make 22 in a week, throw a few resources at the cover, and roll the dice.

• Spinaddict2424 likes this
In love with my Baby.

#13 Amberson

Amberson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 17:13 PM

Yeah, and decreasing your odds a little the week before. ;) So if you consistently put effort into your covers, such experiments are not worthy or necessary. Only if you can’t make all the movies during the week. Then it makes sense to fully focus on the next week and use the small advantage of an extra movie in your favor.

I agree that once you accumulate all the fans you need to complete every party, getting any more fans becomes pointless. Unless your goal in the game is to dominate the fans ranking, of course. But that’s a pointless chart IMHO where newer players can’t compete with older ones either way, because the older users have too much of a margin that’s impossible to erase if they keep playing.

The fans have nothing to do with conventions, AFAIK. You probably meant parties and those are not crappy/worthless at all. They give lots of experience, notes and strong items (usually 3 epics and a couple of rares). They also offer unique collections (the Whiplash one in particular is very cool) for the completion of which you get a some free skill points + a unique title.

The main reason to take the longer-lasting shoots is indeed the greater amount of free energy and notes that you get.

The item rewards are great particularly in the first months of playing, because they allow you to complete collections and improve your stats quickly. It's true that as you progress, skill points become more valuable and items less valuable. There are multiple reasons for this… Buying the skill points costs more… you already have most of the sewing patterns… leveling up takes more time, so the stats of the offered items don’t improve as quickly as before…

The value of diamond rewards depends on how many diamonds do you have at the moment and how many can you acquire in the near future. For people who buy diamonds, the diamond rewards obviously don’t mean much, for others they might.

However, you very seldom get to choose between three similarly long movie offers with three completely different types of rewards as the main decision factor. There are situations when there’s no reward for any of the offers, or there are two offers with an item as the reward, offers with multiple rewards etc. So it’s always about weighing out different things and trying to choose the best offer possible based on various individual factors that go into the decision.

Edited by Amberson, 05 July 2017 - 17:28 PM.

#14 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 05 July 2017 - 17:40 PM

The fans have nothing to do with conventions, AFAIK. You probably meant parties and those are not crappy/worthless at all. They give lots of experience, notes and strong items (usually 3 epics and a couple of rares). They also offer unique collections (the Whiplash one in particular is very cool) for the completion of which you get a some free skill points + a unique title.

Nope, I meant conventions.

Each show you do in a convention contributes a number of visitors to the convention. If you have more fans, you add more visitors. However, the number of visitors decreases with each subsequent show, so the advantage of having millions of more fans than someone else tends to equalize pretty quickly.

This means you get the largest number of visitors in your first show. Note that there is a random prize for the show that completes the convention. If you are late to a convention, you can try to snipe that prize. Don't engage in the convention at all, until it is almost full. Then complete your first show, adding your large number of visitors right at the end. In theory, sounds like a plan, but in practice, still very random, and generally not worth the effort of tracking a convention's progress.

(Sorry to sidetrack the discussion, now back to movie-making strategies)

In love with my Baby.

#15 Cleena

Cleena

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationOn top of a hill in the middle of Transylvania
  • Character:Cleena
  • Studio:Bros and Hoes

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:08 AM

Always making 3 movies. Every single day since I started playing. Not sure when that was...but I'm level 185 atm.

I go for the longest usually, unless there's an event, in which case I go for the event one, regardless of length.

For rewards I usually prefer the skill points, but it depends. If a 30 min movie gives total 7 SP, and a 3 hrs movie gives 2 SP, I'll go for the 3 hrs. But if it's 2,5 hrs 7 SP vs 3 hrs 4 SP I'll go for 2.5 hrs.

#16 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:43 AM

Cleena, a sound strategy, but I would suggest a tweak.  You should probably start to prioritizing skills more. Each free skill point is going to become far more lucrative in notes equivalence, than the extra notes you gain from a longer movie. I'm paying 335K per skill point at level 300... No amount of extra movie missions is going to compare to even one additional skill.

Between a 30min movie with 4 skills, and a 3hr movie with 2 skills, i will take the 30min movie each and every time. At some point, you want to do the same.

In love with my Baby.

#17 Jillian

Jillian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:38 PM

I went with 3 a day. I usually take the free sp's unless it has epic missles. Sad thing is the same person has bought the BBA reward the last 5 weeks on our server and is currently sitting in spot 1 or 2 for this week :( 

#18 Yibbies

Yibbies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Character:Yibbies
  • Studio:Bros & Hoes

Posted 11 July 2017 - 19:34 PM

I shoot 3 films a day religiously, complete them all in 15-20 mins.. Often have to spend the 9 diamonds multiple times to recycle my choices, since I've always looked for the most Skill Point offers in my films... Yea, I agree with CaptC, skill points are vital for your toon, as I am now paying 275,000 notes per skill point if and when I buy them for Temple...

#19 JENNIFER

JENNIFER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:13 AM

I try to make 3 movies a day.

I only spend diamonds/notes on one movie change per week and use that changed movie in the BB awards/competition/voting.

Jennifer

(Im cheap aint I?  LoL)

#20 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:38 AM

I will note that the poll question should probably be changed to say "all possible movies" instead of 'three", given the movie trophies.

I will also note that my movie-making strategy has changed since I can do 4 per day now, but the length of the day stubbornly stays fixed at 24 hours. I take movies for prizes only now, I don't need to care about longest.

In love with my Baby.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: movies, making movies, strategy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users