• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S
  • World:UK2
  • Character:TaraBing
  • Studio:EINTRACHT

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:08 AM

What does everyone think of the most recent game changes regarding patch notes 2017.04.18 ?

New Features
Trophies
• The trophy penalty now depends on the trophy type:
- Energy trophy: 10%
- Courage trophy: 7%

Bosses and producers of studios with trophies, does this change the way you might keep trophies?

Maintenance

General

From now on, career tasks can be skipped with diamonds

Would you be willing to skip career tasks by spending diamonds?

Dickstarter.cum
• The rewards for dickstarter have been adjusted. Now, items and skill points show up more often, rewards with experience points and notes are now higher.

Have you seen skill points or items showing up more often?  What about notes and experience points being higher ? ·  NOTE: It might take 24 hours to kick-in before we see this happening on the dailies, and a new week for the weeklies.

-TB (flower)

#2 TaraBing

TaraBing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:41 AM

Beginning with this patch, one of the changes I noticed was the correction to the movie titles that had <Your Player's Name> place holder in the title.  For example, it used say something like "<Name's> Party till Dawn"  and that is literally what showed up on your cover.

Now it actually says your player's name in the title; "TaraBing's Party till Dawn" on the cover.

That's cool.  (smug)

-TB (flower)

#3 Star

Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Studio:The Loven Coven

Posted 18 April 2017 - 22:50 PM

Great that they finally fixed the <Name> title, it has been bugging me forever!

I still think there has to be a bigger penalty for holding energy trophies.

And here is my biggest concern:

General
• For some successes, new steps have been added

I have a feeling that this is gonna make a lot of people stop playing because the game is impossible to complete.

As one of the persons I play with said "The company just crapped on people who play to complete their mission successes. I guess they just want the game to be impossible to actually finish, but I´m not playing that game."

• TaraBing likes this

#4 TaraBing

TaraBing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:15 AM

Hi Star,

1) I read in another post you suggested making the Energy Trophy at least 3% higher of a penalty.  That would put it at 13%, almost double what the Courage Trophy is at right now at 7%.  How might you play these two trophies as a studio boss looking at 7 and 13 respectively?

2) I'm not sure about the wording of the "new steps"... but it does sound like some of the existing successes were made more difficult to complete - rather than just adding new successes to conquer.

But all in all, would you want to be able to "complete" this game?  It's clearly designed to go on, and on... with ladders with no ceilings... items that constantly become obsolete with new incremental replacements... and levels with no end... and with that, everything becomes relational.  You are either advancing your character, or you are falling behind.  It's all in how you compare your toon, or your studio to another.

-TB (flower)

#5 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA
  • World:UK1
  • Character:CaptChrissy
  • Studio:Abusement Park

Posted 19 April 2017 - 16:36 PM

Yay, they listen!

Hi Star,

1) I read in another post you suggested making the Energy Trophy at least 3% higher of a penalty.  That would put it at 13%, almost double what the Courage Trophy is at right now at 7%.  How might you play these two trophies as a studio boss looking at 7 and 13 respectively?

...the problem is, they listen incompletely.  Reducing the cost of the courage trophy was the least interesting part of my proposal to change the trophy penalties.

It is still very easy to keep 5 energy trophies. The point of INCREASING the costs of an energy trophy was that it would weaken dominating studios enough that it would be very hard to keep a full slate of 5 trophies.  By NOT INCREASING the cost of an energy trophy, the developers have not addressed the problem of snowballing win conditions, at all. An active studio able to hold 5 energy trophies cannot be caught... they will simply continue to get stronger, faster, than anyone else can.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact that they are responding!

But I think we need to re-suggest that energy trophies are still dramatically undercosted, and the penalty should be upped to at least 15%.  They really need to make it easy for pretty much anyone to beat a studio attempting to hold 5 energy trophies.

• TaraBing and isublsv like this
Retired from the game. Not from life.
In love with my Baby.

#6 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 19 April 2017 - 16:39 PM

As far as completing the game... There were already achievements in the game that would take five or more years to accomplish. I am not a completionist like that, so it really doesn't matter to me either way, but a couple of my players were upset at first. None of them are quitting, they are just a little annoyed that the 'percent complete' number is lower. But as you say, Tara, it is all relative. When they heard my pitiful percent complete, they realized they still were 'winning' that competition.

• TaraBing likes this
In love with my Baby.

#7 TaraBing

TaraBing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S

Posted 19 April 2017 - 17:48 PM

Yay, they listen!

:

It is still very easy to keep 5 energy trophies. The point of INCREASING the costs of an energy trophy was that it would weaken dominating studios enough that it would be very hard to keep a full slate of 5 trophies.  By NOT INCREASING the cost of an energy trophy, the developers have not addressed the problem of snowballing win conditions, at all. An active studio able to hold 5 energy trophies cannot be caught... they will simply continue to get stronger, faster, than anyone else can.

But I think we need to re-suggest that energy trophies are still dramatically undercosted, and the penalty should be upped to at least 15%.  They really need to make it easy for pretty much anyone to beat a studio attempting to hold 5 energy trophies.

Thanks Capt -

So what is the answer on Energy Trophy?  Communication is one-way through these patch update notes, so perhaps they (being the devs) are reluctant to mess with the penalty formula for Energy.

You have re-suggested 15% against Skills would make a good penalty for holding on to an Energy Trophy.  If a team did have 5 energy trophies, which is quite the accomplishment even at 10% against skills, it would increase from 50% (in total) against skills to 75% against skills.  To your point, how many energy trophies would a high ranking studio currently holding 5 likely drop to maintain their standings? 2 to get closer to 50% at now 45% (in total)?  Would they try to hold a courage trophy at 7% to be at 52% (in total)?

Other than not having played in a studio with trophies, it seems to me the penalty of 50% (in total) is fairly dire, 75% (at 5 x 15) would be crippling.

Also, a couple things not discussed:

1. Where do these dropped trophies go - back to the unused Trophy case bank?
  2. And then how does a studio win a banked trophy?

-TB (flower)

#8 TaraBing

TaraBing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S

Posted 19 April 2017 - 17:51 PM

... When they heard my pitiful percent complete, they realized they still were 'winning' that competition.

LOL  - What is your pitiful percentage of completion?

-TB (flower)

#9 scurrvy

scurrvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:17 AM

@Tara & @Devs

from a game standpoint, the trophies look like something to reward/interest long term, 'end game' type players, so they have an outlet that rewards their active participation and accumulated efforts. i dont hate it, cause eventually i can break into the top by my own efforts in getting noticed/recruited.

in essence, there will always be a 'top dog' in the food chain,

-as observed from someone in a studio who barely wins Temples let alone trophies

#10 scurrvy

scurrvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:55 PM

ah! i remember what i needed to say!

HELP @Tara

recently, one day i did not collect a Dickstarter reward, and the next day it forced me to collect them before starting the ones for the new day, which is huuugely great, cause i'll always get the rewards even if i forget <3

but my question is that, is this a feature or a bug? cause it feels surprisingly lenient

#11 TaraBing

TaraBing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S

Posted 21 April 2017 - 14:05 PM

@Tara & @Devs

from a game standpoint, the trophies look like something to reward/interest long term, 'end game' type players, so they have an outlet that rewards their active participation and accumulated efforts. i dont hate it, cause eventually i can break into the top by my own efforts in getting noticed/recruited.

in essence, there will always be a 'top dog' in the food chain,

-as observed from someone in a studio who barely wins Temples let alone trophies

Hi Scurrvy,

If you play as often as you do, how is it you have not gotten noticed/recruited by a big name studio?

I too don't play in a studio with trophies... so they still are a bit of a mystery to me.

I noticed you addressed the devs (@devs), was there a message or suggestion you wanted me to pass on to them?

They don't necessarily read the forums.

"Completionist" players was mentioned in CaptC's previous post, is "end-game" player the same in your definition?

Yn8tuHw.png

ah! i remember what i needed to say!

HELP @Tara

recently, one day i did not collect a Dickstarter reward, and the next day it forced me to collect them before starting the ones for the new day, which is huuugely great, cause i'll always get the rewards even if i forget <3

but my question is that, is this a feature or a bug? cause it feels surprisingly lenient

I did not know that ! 

So... to recap, if you don't take a reward from a previous day's d.starter challenge, it will wait for you to collect it the next day before you can get on with your new challenges.  That's kind of cool.

It must be a feature, OTHERWISE... take the gift and RUN with it.   (smug)

I wonder if that is true of a weekly reward too, at the turn of the week... ?   (think)

-TB (flower)

#12 Harry0rgan

Harry0rgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Character:Harry0rgan
  • Studio:DV8

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:58 AM

I'm not sure about the wording of the "new steps"... but it does sound like some of the existing successes were made more difficult to complete - rather than just adding new successes to conquer.

But all in all, would you want to be able to "complete" this game?  It's clearly designed to go on, and on... with ladders with no ceilings... items that constantly become obsolete with new incremental replacements... and levels with no end... and with that, everything becomes relational.  You are either advancing your character, or you are falling behind.  It's all in how you compare your toon, or your studio to another.

Since I am the player being referenced by Star, let me clarify. It wasn´t a matter of completing all aspects of the game, it was about completing all mission chains before anyone. And by them adding things like, at a lesser extent the daily and weekly tasks, and at a higher extent the Temple objectives, it already slowed down the progress on that aspect of the game enough. Why did they feel the need to make it even more difficult for those who are truly playing for those accomplishments and sacrificing the higher rewards from other missions? It seems like the majority of the player base only plays for the high xp or notes, but for me its boring playing a game by the numbers and I´m not going to let a game maker dictate how I play a game. I actually started out that way until it got boring just playing for one element of the game (level/stat increasing) and playing for mission completion saved me from quitting the game which I would have done a year ago without that goal in mind. When I saw my mission completion fall from over 60% to barely over 40% in after a single update, that completely destroyed my ambitions to continue playing. It just felt like they were holding the proverbial grapes just out of reach, and who says if I would continue playing that the next time I´m "almost there" that they won´t just raise them again? Never-ending games are pointless to me.

As far as completing the game... There were already achievements in the game that would take five or more years to accomplish. I am not a completionist like that, so it really doesn't matter to me either way, but a couple of my players were upset at first. None of them are quitting, they are just a little annoyed that the 'percent complete' number is lower. But as you say, Tara, it is all relative. When they heard my pitiful percent complete, they realized they still were 'winning' that competition.

That depends which aspect you´re talking about and how much money you´re willing to spend. For the missions? At the rate I was going it would have taken me roughly 12 - 15 more months (sooner if it was´t for Temple objectives that were contradictory to the mission chain I was working on at the time). If you´re talking about other things like shows at convention, refinements at Misty´s et al, the old cap was 20k. I have no idea how far they´ve upped that. If you want to truly play free-to-play, just the Misty´s regular would have taken over 50 years to complete at the old cap. I´ll let you do the math how many diamonds it would take to complete that sooner, and like I said that was the old cap. 

So with all things weighed, I see no point in continuing to play, so when my diamonds are gone I´ll be gone too. I played on and spent money on 8 servers, being a major contributor to the 100% studio upgrade on 3 of those servers. But I won´t spend another dime on this game, nor will I even bother to try out another game from the company. 

• TaraBing likes this

Harry0rgan on UK1

Wombraider on UK2

Liberacé on RU1 (RIP RU1, best server we miss you)

UncleTrenchcoat on INT1

#13 Harry0rgan

Harry0rgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:08 AM

Yay, they listen!

...the problem is, they listen incompletely.  Reducing the cost of the courage trophy was the least interesting part of my proposal to change the trophy penalties.

I don´t think the answer lies in changing the weight of trophies. I think it would make more sense to add more trophies, and I don´t mean E and C trophies. What about a set of trophies that gave everyone on the team a 5 or 10% bonus to their temple points. And another set that gave the team members the option to make a 4th film for the day. I´m sure people could come up with even more ideas, that was just the 2 I´ve heard discussed by the people I play with. More people having fun playing a game should be the objective, not who can build the unbeatable team.

• TaraBing likes this

Harry0rgan on UK1

Wombraider on UK2

UncleTrenchcoat on INT1

#14 scurrvy

scurrvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:29 AM

@Tara, i only mentioned them cause i felt it concerned a game dev point of view. having to satisfy ppl of different strata.

and loool~ i could give it a try on weekly.

and well, recently i stepped away from from the top, cause things have gotten more intense lately and i was getting less active

@Harry; i like you. a nice normal person looking for a fun time their own way

peace v

• TaraBing likes this

#15 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 22 April 2017 - 21:39 PM

My best character is at 39% complete after the update.

Harry, we have spoken about this before.  There is no single way to play the game.  Just as you are turned off by longer, impossible to complete achievement chains, I am a competitive player who wants a chance to be first... but there are imbalances built into the game such that competitive players cannot create new competitive studios.  Your only real choice is to join an already dominant studio, and where the hell is the fun in that? Riding along on somebody else's achievement is not the point for me.

I don't begrudge you the way you play your character, Harry. I hope you reconsider, as it would be a shame to say goodbye to you and your characters. But saying the point of the game is not to beat the unbeatable team is simply not true for everyone.  It is certainly not true for me.

Competitive players tend to spend diamonds... and tend to leave if they have no means of getting to the top.  Just that simple.

In the spirit of catering to as many people as possible, I would think playata would want to give competitive players a chance to take their own studios to the top.

In love with my Baby.

#16 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 22 April 2017 - 21:43 PM

Tara:

Speaking as a Boss of a studio consistently holding 4 trophies, I would not deliberately drop any. I would see how many can be taken from me.

My complaint about energy trophies is two-fold.  First, they simply aren't costed correctly. There is evidence aplenty - no one sells energy trophies, the top two or three studios on a server will ALWAYS dominate energy, and will not give a fig about holding courage. Etc.

I have no objections to new types of trophies, as long as they are costed correctly compared to the benefit they give.  The point is not to let more people have trophies... the point is to make it correspondingly difficult to keep the good ones.

• TaraBing likes this
In love with my Baby.

#17 Harry0rgan

Harry0rgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 17:23 PM

My best character is at 39% complete after the update.

Harry, we have spoken about this before.  There is no single way to play the game.  Just as you are turned off by longer, impossible to complete achievement chains, I am a competitive player who wants a chance to be first... but there are imbalances built into the game such that competitive players cannot create new competitive studios.  Your only real choice is to join an already dominant studio, and where the hell is the fun in that? Riding along on somebody else's achievement is not the point for me.

I don't begrudge you the way you play your character, Harry. I hope you reconsider, as it would be a shame to say goodbye to you and your characters. But saying the point of the game is not to beat the unbeatable team is simply not true for everyone.  It is certainly not true for me.

Competitive players tend to spend diamonds... and tend to leave if they have no means of getting to the top.  Just that simple.

In the spirit of catering to as many people as possible, I would think playata would want to give competitive players a chance to take their own studios to the top.

Let me start by saying this was misinterpreted "But saying the point of the game is not to beat the unbeatable team is simply not true for everyone."

​I didn´t say "beat", I said "build". Which is actually the point you see as frustrating, so we´re not even arguing that point. But I think our idea of what "competitive" means is different. For me it simply means being able to participate in the trophy battles so everyone on the team can get their Hobby Collector accolade complete. When a team is too strong to be defeated even with a full trophy case, where is the competitiveness? There is none. And the server as a whole suffers because, as you said, when players are seeing they have no chance of being competitive, they lose interest. Every player who quits a game is another nail in that games coffin. GAMES are supposed to be FUN after all.

As to players joining top teams instead of building their own to be competitive, I can´t say I see that as a proven point. Even when they are in said top team they often quit. I remember when the UK2 team I am on came out of nowhere and were glued into 3rd place for a while. I remember it like it was yesterday. At that point we had about 8 players swiped, 2 by the top team and 6 from the 2nd place team. To put it in perspective, the server hadn´t even been online for 3 months and a top team that was 100% upgraded already had 6 players to replace. Just think about that for a minute.

As to quitting, I´m already mentally gone. Just going through the motions right now to take care of unfinished business and seeing whats happening with the teams I´m on so that those who are still interested in playing get on to other teams or somebody steps up to fill my roles, but once I´ve burned my diamonds I´ll only be logging in on those servers to register for fights to save the teams on doubles until decisions can be made and I can finally delete all my characters. 2 are already gone, the rest will disappear after my presence is no longer needed.

Edited by Harry0rgan, 26 April 2017 - 17:24 PM.

• TaraBing likes this

Harry0rgan on UK1

Wombraider on UK2

UncleTrenchcoat on INT1

#18 TaraBing

TaraBing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S

Posted 26 April 2017 - 19:12 PM

@Harry

Harry, great postings and observations... I like the way you think.  Pity you'd leave after so many strides made.  Certainly it can be discouraging to see your % of completion go down, but some things to keep in mind, everybody's percentage went down.

I realize you are not playing against others in terms of completing successes but if it were on a ladder, you'd keep your same ranking..

And it sounds like you are completely invested in which successes require which actions; that tells me you are truly involved.

The proverbial grapes, as mentioned earlier.  To drop 20% from 60 to 40, would mean almost 50% new success pieces were added. That seems like a lot, but my math could be wrong.  This is calculated on the current success base of 1,245 total missions.  {assuming approximately 415 new pieces added to a previous base of 830}

Sing along with me... "Never ending story..."   (smug) 

There are 5 categories of Successes - can anyone tell which category got most of the growth:  I am guessing Missions ?

Success   Current

Category   Totals

--------  -------

Star         204

Missions     773

Shop          72

Duels        131

Studio        65

========  =======

TOTALS     1,245

-TB (flower)

#19 Harry0rgan

Harry0rgan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:57 AM

But I am playing against others in that competition Tara. Me and my UK boss have have a heated duel going on for a good 8 or 9 months. After they added Shangri-La the lead was changing daily if not hourly. The fact that there are players who don´t care because they are playing either for highest exps or notes just trolls us more because we are sacrificing level/stat gain with how we play. It does´t bother the players who play that way because they don´t care anyway, as pointed out by CaptC. And what they raised makes no sense either. The Shangri-La missions only go to 100, which they could have raised without bothering me because that actually is too low. But they didn´t touch those....

The old mission completion went from 505 to 773, and overall completion from 864 to 1245. And some of the things they raised are things that are never going to be finished. Climbing The Pedestal (duel Glory) used to be capped at XXXIV (600k Glory). This has now been raised to XLIII. The more I play, the more I feel the developers don´t play the game themselves and have no grasp how the community ticks. From here on I´ll be classifying this type of game as "make-it-up-as-you-go-along-ware"

• TaraBing likes this

Harry0rgan on UK1

Wombraider on UK2

UncleTrenchcoat on INT1

#20 TaraBing

TaraBing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S

Posted 27 April 2017 - 18:40 PM

@Harry

Always interesting hearing from you and getting an understanding about things from a completionist player's perspective.

I've heard there are 4 different types of "gamers" (more on that in a moment).  And while many of us are some combination of the four, each of us gravitate towards the portion of the game that satisfies and scratches our gamer "itch-type" the most.  Yours happens to be the successes.  And I can tell, it is a real focus for you and some of your fellow players...  and you are competitive at it!  I think that's cool.

What is not cool, is when additions are made that seem out of reach. Overwhelming. To give an example  imagine someone coming in to this game brand new.  Imagine them seeing all there is to be done, and asking - how am I going to accomplish all this here?   The answer is the same to 'how do you eat an elephant?'  You do it one bite at a time.  Whatever it be... leveling up, increasing skills, completing successes... I think the game devs have been somewhat smart about how they reveal what is available to conduct by slowly unlocking new areas, and missions, etc.  However, to surprise the success-completionist playing population with nearly a 50% increase of new success pieces does seem a bit much.(at least for one single patch).  The conscious psyche was jolted.

So if the devs were to expand successes in the future, maybe 50% addition is a bit much. Instead, do it slowly over time, and it is not as noticeable.  The proverbial grapes, as you say.  Reminds me of that science experiment where a frog doesn't realize it's being boiled because the temperature is raised, ever so slowly over time, one degree higher every hour... until death.

(apologies.for the gross analogy)  (smug)

~ ~ ~

@ANYONE READING

If curious, read on, add to the discussion and take the poll... >> THE FOUR TYPES OF GAMERS (POLL).

-TB (flower)

• Harry0rgan likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: patch notes, game changes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users