• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S
  • World:UK2
  • Character:TaraBing
  • Studio:EINTRACHT

Posted 05 June 2017 - 17:45 PM

And... for those of you keeping score, this past week ending BBA results June 4, 2017 had only 4 of the TOP 10 entries coming from the TOP 10 Studios.

If you include the 11th and 12th place finishes, then the number goes to 6/12 entries in the TOP 10 Studios.  There were 3 studios with 2 or more entries in the TOP 10.  Bravo to that.

oWvJMhY.png

TOP 10 STUDIOS IN THE BBA TOP 10 -  2017.06.04

Enjoy!

-TB (flower)

#42 Eileendover

Eileendover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationUSA,MI
  • Character:Eileendover
  • Studio:Bukkakke Cinema

Posted 19 June 2017 - 17:31 PM

Okay, correct me if i'm wrong because I think I had it wrong before. Selecting a movie from the 1st day of the cycle has no advantage over waiting all week and choosing one just before awards. None of them will be seen until after this week's awards, right? I'd previously thought I should do the 1st one well and leave it checked so it would be seen more.

Anyway, I've been putting some thought into this, and the more I think, the more I think that thinking doesn't help, lol. My lower level alt on US2 tends to get better results than me without ever having bought diamonds and often staying with suggested titles and only changing elements where it's really necessary and then using as little notes as possible. This week, she got 15th while I got a much lower placing with a cover I had hopes for. I think she's had 2 or 3 top 20's now doing it that way.

I notice my own voting tendencies sort of follow along with that phenomenon. Usually, if I'm blatantly aware that the person did their own title, I tend to say to myself 'meh' and not choose it just for that. But then sometimes I stop and think this person is trying to make an effort here, so I do wind up choosing it. I do my own sometimes and would like to think that people recognize that I'm not just using something chucked out of the grinder.

I tend to be drawn to certain visual and title elements and cringe at some others. I cringe at any family member in the title though the grandpa/ grandma ones are humorous while being kind of 'yuck, lol. I like the teddy bear girl(?) though she is a bit creepy and I almost never see her used.

At some point a lot of the things seem over used, so that's a thing too. Dragging a thought over from another topic,we could really use some fresh elements in the film shoots.

And there I go, like I said above, thinking too much, but if any of it helps, cool

• TaraBing likes this

Just a casual now

#43 Amberson

Amberson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:51 AM

Yes, Eileen, when you do your selected movie during the week is unimportant.

And I tend to agree with you that the higher effort in the form of diamond investments doesn't necessary transform into bigger success, because a decent looking cover can be made completely without diamonds thru a combination of luck in what the game generates for you and some small adjustments (change of clothes, title position and color, supporting actor etc) that cost you only a few hundred notes. In fact, you can just wait and one of the 21 pre-generated covers surely won't need any investments at all. All you need to do is to match it with nice clothes.

My most successful cover didn't need any big investments - I think I only changed my clothes, title placement and border for that one. No diamonds were involved. Most other times, I change the title or do other pricy adjustments and the result is never as good as with that winning cover. On the other hand, it's not all about winning and Top 10 placements for me. The experimenting and playfulness in making movies is a fun aspect of the game that I enjoy. And a unique title is basically the only thing that's absolutely original about the covers, given the limited options in other aspects. Everything else in every possible combination was probably done before at least once before by someone else. So in my mind, creative original titles are something to be appreciated and that should give you an advantage in the voting, especially if they fit with the general theme of the cover.

And btw, I count myself among the people who passionately dislike the ugly teddy bear girl that looks like a boy in cheerleader uniform to me. :)
  • TaraBing and Eileendover like this

#44 Eileendover

Eileendover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationUSA,MI

Posted 23 June 2017 - 15:49 PM

When I discovered BBE a couple of years ago, it was the film cover creation that drew me. A friend on Facebook had shared one of the auto-generated posts on one of hers.It looked like such a cool concept for a game. I had to try it. I honestly didn't see the need for all of the other things going on. I just wanted to make movies. I stayed up that evening until I could do films and made all 3 before I slept. I guess, for me, the film making is the central concept of the game and while other parts are enjoyable, I find them less important. That's why I'd really like to see the film shoot area expanded as has been suggested in other topics on the forum.

• TaraBing likes this

Just a casual now

#45 Amberson

Amberson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 13:24 PM

Here I am, screwed again by he voting system... My cover is stuck in a shared 958th place and I don't think that it made the first cut to receive any more votes... Last time when this happened, I could at least say that it's because I didn't make all the weekly movies, but this time I did. And I don't think it's because of the cover itself, because in my opinion it's a nice looking cover that's not worse than my other covers that have always placed in the Top 30 in the weeks since my last failure. I will post a picture of the cover below, so that anyone can decide for themselves whether it deserves to be at the bottom of the voting rank...

chocovancover.jpg

I don't see any problem there (but I'm open for candid criticism, if there are good reasons for it). In fact, if you concentrate on the details, you can see that I matched the wardrobe and accessories of both actors in a reverse way - the supporting actress is dressed in grey with golden earrings, while my star is dressed in yellow/gold and has a silver belt. The grey/silver elements are then lined with a silver border. I also used a customized title that in my mind hints the interracial theme in a playful way.

So seemingly inexplicable flops like this one only affirm to me the big role of the "dumb luck" factor in the voting. For someone who enjoys the movie-making element of the game + the competition in the BBas that goes along with it, this is frustrating and demotivating. If you make all the weekly covers and put some effort to select a decent looking one as your submission, it shouldn't really bomb so hard in the voting, while other entries that were obviously produced without any effort at all by users who maybe didn't even make all the weekly covers end up much higher. And it definitely shouldn't be a regular thing. You don't even appreciate the win so much, if you realize that dumb luck plays such a big role in the voting. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to allow players to have one free respin per vote to minimize situations where you're forced to choose from two covers that are pure garbage. However, the pitfall of this option would be more space for voting manipulation on the last day from the most active studios with many players in the running for the top spots... Another way of making the voting more fair and rewarding effort + activity would be to prolong the initial voting phase, so that your cover would show up more to different people before it's permanently eliminated. Users could also maybe vote for two pairs of movies instead of one after finishing a voting mission...

Anyway, I'm determined to submit this very same cover again soon, just to try to prove the voting system wrong for letting it flop the first time around. In fact, I would submit it for next week, if I didn't already have something else prepared for it. Don't have the dress anymore, but if I don't acquire it in the meantime, I'm willing to spend diamonds for the sewing pattern just to produce the same damn cover, even though I would much rather submit something fresh based on one of my other ideas...

Edited by Amberson, 04 July 2017 - 13:46 PM.

#46 CaptC

CaptC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA
  • World:UK1
  • Character:CaptChrissy
  • Studio:Abusement Park

Posted 04 July 2017 - 18:27 PM

BBA has rigged votes to allow you to prefer your studio mates.

It has the quirks of a world-wide, primarily male population.

My advice? Don't take it personally.

Retired from the game. Not from life.
In love with my Baby.

#47 Amberson

Amberson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 19:29 PM

I don't mind that covers of your studio members are highlighted for you to support them. Some people follow the "recommendation", others don't, but it's a stable part of the voting that's same for everyone. And even if it didn't exist, those who wanted to vote for their studio members would do it anyway. I recognize the avatars of my studio members even without the hint - at least the more prominent one's who are a stable part of our team for a longer time. You can even memorize the covers in advance, if you're really determined to get a win for your studio this way...

The thing that annoys me is when I do everything possible to succeed and I still completely flop only because my cover was shown to the wrong people or paired with other nice covers instead of all the other crap that is part of the competition. This is not about rigging or not meeting the preferences of a world-wide male population, this is purely about dumb luck... or lack of it, to be more precise. So far, I've only either finished in the Top 100 with my covers (in Top 30 most of the time) or completely flopped by not getting through the first cut. This further proves to me that if I had more luck and got one or two more votes, my cover could have been in the running till the end of the week for a solid place again (I still have to definitely prove it though by submitting the same cover). Ok, luck is part of the voting, but it really shouldn't play such a big role when you do all the movies and have a decent cover at hand. This is the third time this has happened to me... Maybe in overall that's not too much, but it still shows a negative pattern that should be eliminated by improvements in the voting system.

You know, I've been playing this game for a while now and I'm starting to get weary of the daily routine of making movies and doing missions that is necessary if you want to get somewhere or achieve something. If you don't do all the movies, you can't enjoy the BBA element, because your submitted cover won't be competitive during that week. So you make all those movies and in return, you expect to at least not bomb on the first day... But if the game rewards your effort with an utter flop and an ostentatious preference for lack of effort, than your desire to continue playing further drops...

And it's not just this one thing that annoys me. There are other examples like when you waste tens of hard earned diamonds for a preferred refinement and you can't even get it in a common version, even though you were originally seeking a rare or epic one. Or when you can't find a certain item to complete a collection and constantly get the same other item instead. I wrote about these things not that long ago in different threads... The limited movie making options are also starting to get boring and I could continue...

Edited by Amberson, 04 July 2017 - 19:51 PM.

#48 Eileendover

Eileendover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationUSA,MI

Posted 06 July 2017 - 16:11 PM

I think it's a dynamite cover, Amberson and you already know I share your bewilderment at the early voting results on it. I would move on to something else, at least for a while though so you don't lose your enjoyment of a game aspect you like. And so I don't lose my favorite buddy to talk about film making with <3

I'm thinking next week I may do a cover featuring Mandy Googler. ;)

I could only speculate reasons for how the film is doing. It's better if I don't. I will just say here that I don't think it's anything to do with the fantastic visual you produced

Just a casual now

#49 TaraBing

TaraBing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S

Posted 07 July 2017 - 16:04 PM

Here I am...

chocovancover.jpg

I don't see any problem there (but I'm open for candid criticism, if there are good reasons for it). In fact, if you concentrate on the details, you can see that I matched the wardrobe and accessories of both actors in a reverse way - the supporting actress is dressed in grey with golden earrings, while my star is dressed in yellow/gold and has a silver belt. The grey/silver elements are then lined with a silver border. I also used a customized title that in my mind hints the interracial theme in a playful way.

:

Anyway, I'm determined to submit this very same cover again soon, just to try to prove the voting system wrong for letting it flop the first time around. In fact, I would submit it for next week, if I didn't already have something else prepared for it. Don't have the dress anymore, but if I don't acquire it in the meantime, I'm willing to spend diamonds for the sewing pattern just to produce the same damn cover, even though I would much rather submit something fresh based on one of my other ideas...

I think I would buy this movie... hehe.  Okay, on to the critique, I don't have one except maybe the TEXT is too much of "white on light", but other than that not much to be sad bad about the visual. And I know we don't get a lot of options on text font color options... SOLID PURPLE, SOLID WHITE, and PURPLE with WHITE outline.  So maybe having any of the purple options in there would have unbalanced what you were going for.

I'm still hoping we get a "pick your color" text-font option in the near future...  (smug)

-TB (flower)

PS: I would have to agree, dumb luck does exist... especially in the "cutting down" days leading up to the FINALE.

• Eileendover likes this

#50 Eileendover

Eileendover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationUSA,MI

Posted 07 July 2017 - 19:37 PM

I've noticed on ballot missions that it tends to present me with options that are near the rank of my own film in the standings. So, unless I am super lucky and draw my own film, I am just voting against myself most of the time. The upside is that collectively, a few players doing poorly in the ranking will unwittingly climb out of the basement if they keep using ballots. Kind of like how NASCAR drivers draft each other

Just a casual now

#51 Amberson

Amberson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:53 PM

So I did my little experiment last week, like I said I would, by submitting the same cover again...

Before I get to the result, there are two important things to note. The first one is obvious. I slightly changed the title to make it more fresh and push the candyshop metaphor I was going for a one step further. ;) The second is that I had a +30% visibility thanks to the new trophies.

So how it went you ask? Well, the first time around, the cover recieved only one vote and finished 968th, whereas this time it got 62 votes and ended up 74th. So I think that even with the slight difference in title and the visibility boost, I can say that I demonstrated my point and proved the voting system flawed. On the other hand, the final result still counts among my worst placements (I usually finish in the Top 30), so it can be said that for some reason the cover itself wasn’t as liked. Couple that with bad luck and you can have a giant flop on your hands...

chovan1.jpg

chovan2.jpg

Edited by Amberson, 24 July 2017 - 12:55 PM.

• TaraBing likes this

#52 TaraBing

TaraBing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S

Posted 24 July 2017 - 15:07 PM

Hey Amberson, your experiment almost disproves my theory that a similarly submitted title will do worse the second time around.  (all other things being equal)  The difference is the extra 30% visibility. 

-TB (flower)

#53 Amberson

Amberson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 16:02 PM

Well, it did have to do better, because the first result was horrendous and it's not really such a bad cover to bomb like that two times.

I do think though that your theory is also right - but it applies only to the successful covers. Almost nobody saw my "Chocovanilla" cover the first time around, because it was eliminated out of the competition too quickly. On the other hand, when you re-submitted your winning cover, people were familiar with it and some of them probably didn't want to reward you for it twice. But there are also other factors involved of course, the main being luck.

On a related note, I bombed again this week with my new cover... :( And while it sits at the very bottom with zero votes, there's an unimaginative cover with the supreme sticker all over it in the first place right now. It almost seems like the game is trying to punish me for daring to do that experiment which made the voting system look silly. :)

This is the new cover (it's the same background, I know, but I liked it the most from the ones I was considering for this cover):

bustymilfteens.jpg

Edited by Amberson, 24 July 2017 - 16:16 PM.

#54 TaraBing

TaraBing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationT3X4S

Posted 24 July 2017 - 19:09 PM

I had a studio mate tell me once...

"I just click on the RIGHT one (all the time). Sometimes, I even click it before the picture finishes loading."

I get it, some people just want to whizz through the game. (no pun intended)   :X

But I had to tell him - STOP DOING THAT !!!  He slowed down and started noticing the work that some players put in to the better ones.

-TB (flower)

#55 Amberson

Amberson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 20:57 PM

Maybe all is not lost this week after all... I already gave up on the cover based on my previous experience and seeing how it only dropped further down the ranking during the whole day... But when I decided to look one last time a few minutes ago whether it didn't improve its standing by some miracle, I suddenly see that it has indeed moved from the 1000s to the 500s... So against all expectations it's apparently still alive. Here's hoping that it can fully recover and stay in the competition till the end of the week. :)
  • Eileendover likes this

#56 Eileendover

Eileendover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationUSA,MI

Posted 28 July 2017 - 15:20 PM

Maybe all is not lost this week after all... I already gave up on the cover based on my previous experience and seeing how it only dropped further down the ranking during the whole day... But when I decided to look one last time a few minutes ago whether it didn't improve its standing by some miracle, I suddenly see that it has indeed moved from the 1000s to the 500s... So against all expectations it's apparently still alive. Here's hoping that it can fully recover and stay in the competition till the end of the week. :)

You're right up there at the time of this post, right behind a tie for 1st. Some great looking covers in those top few. I've not had any of those come up on ballots yet. Good luck to all :).  Mine is bombing this week. It was a parody of an ad on the TV, but I think a lot of people didn't get it because the ads are different for them. Annoying almost 2 minute long ad that was useless in cutting the time for party missions and short conventions. I like my parodies and some do okay. Maybe one will eventually touch enough funny bones. Another on the way for next week that parodys a popular book/movie and also the sometimes silly auto generated titles of BBE

• Analis and Amberson like this

Just a casual now

#57 Amberson

Amberson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 14:57 PM

Remember all my previous talk about the role of (bad) luck in BBAs and how I did the experiment when I resubmitted a flopped cover again only to see it do much better the second time around? Well, I did the experiment again and unlike last time, I didn't make any changes to the title (Connie the Boobarian) and had the same exposure. So same cover, same conditions, but as you'll see below, the results are considerably differently... Whereas the first time around the cover was an utter flop with zero received votes, only two weeks later it managed to get 173 votes and finish 6th.

This is a definitive proof of what I was saying before - you can shoot all the weekly films, come up with your own theme/title and make a perfectly fine cover and it can still bomb only because it was shown to the wrong sample of people or paired with strong alternatives. At the same time, bad covers that were made without any effort whatsoever can stay in the competition for most if not the whole week for the very same reason why good covers get eliminated early - because of (bad) luck. I consider this to be a big flaw in the voting system that needs to be addressed by the devs (more on that in a special thread).

ctbo1.jpg

ctbo2.jpg

Edited by Amberson, 29 January 2018 - 14:59 PM.

#58 BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationThe Isle of drublic
  • Character:BigBadWolf
  • Studio:The Pirate Alliance

Posted 30 January 2018 - 11:57 AM

Hey Mods, I'd like to suggest a request to have a PERSONAL HISTORICAL BBA PAGE similar to the HISTORY on STUDIO DUELS.

1. It could be accessed by clicking a small icon on the film shoot page.  Imagine this icon looks like a smaller modified version of the "Film Shoot" CAMERA ICON (and imagine in the lower right corner of this camera icon is an overlay of a smaller CALENDAR PAGE icon to indicate history over time).  Place this icon just left of the "Your Successes" icon and label it Film Shoot History when the mouse hovers over it.

2. Clicking it brings up a scroll-able pop-up table similar to Studio Duels history, only it contains info like this:

FILM SHOOT HISTORY

Release                                           Final /   Votes      E A R N E D   R E W A R D     
 Date      Film Title                              Max Rank  Rcvd   Skill Pts : Experience : Diamonds 
 ========  ======================================  ========  =====  ========= : ========== : ======== 
 12/24/16  Frivolous Fun - Mmmm, Delicious         671/1196     6       0     :       0    :     0    
 12/15/16  Kinky Massages - No Mercy               993/1201     2       0     :       0    :     0    
 12/09/16  Oh, Holy Night                           22/1195   139       2     :    1000    :     5    
 12/04/16  Luscious Nature Lovers - Do Everything    7/1172   164      10     :    2000    :    25    
 11/22/16  Mommies Sleep Over - Ultimate Party      20/1201    94       2     :    1000    :     5    

• Color code the lines by winning ranks.
  • Show a special star icon on any line that finished #1.
  • Have a scroll bar on the right, and let the majority of columns be sort-able...
  • OR show the last 30 submissions and list the submissions backwards chronologically.
  • For an even cooler presentation, make each line clickable (for example click on the 12/09/16 entry) and it brings up an image similar to the final showing...

yGtiqfil.png

How cool would this be?  Then we could study our previous entries and maybe find a trend of what voters liked.

-TB (flower)

Best Idea I read all day

#59 EricTion

EricTion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 13:39 PM

Well, at least the rankings should be hidden and no chance to vote your own / your studio's film. Look at this week's (week 27/18) rankings. All the top films from the same studio, so that must be with bought votes. In which real life voting you can legally buy votes for yourself / your teammates? So, a major change is needed...

#60 MelisaA

MelisaA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Character:MelisaA
  • Studio:Melisas Lounge

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:37 AM

Well, at least the rankings should be hidden and no chance to vote your own / your studio's film. Look at this week's (week 27/18) rankings. All the top films from the same studio, so that must be with bought votes. In which real life voting you can legally buy votes for yourself / your teammates? So, a major change is needed...

It has always been and it will always be. Here you can buy everything.
Sad, but no money no funny. Here can play as equal only diamond buyers.
Try to relax and play not for some places, but just for fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users